Monday, July 31, 2017

Newly elected members of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEW MEMBERS OF THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES! I learned about this year's round when I received an announcement from the Orion Center that Professor Emeritus Emanuel Tov of the Hebrew University had been elected. Professor Tov is one of the world's foremost experts on the Dead Sea Scrolls.

When I looked at this years list of newly elected members, I saw that Peter Schäfer, Professor Emeritus at Princeton University and current Director of the Jewish Museum Berlin, has also been elected. Professor Schäfer has vast accomplishments in the field of Jewish studies. I am best acquainted with his foundational work on the Hekhalot literature, the texts of pre-Kabbalistic Jewish mysticism.

In addition, Professor Carl R. Holladay of Emory University has been elected. Again, his accomplishments are wide-ranging. I am best acquainted with his important multivolume commentary on the fragments of Hellenistic Jewish authors.

I am delighted to congratulate all three (and anyone else in the field whom I may have missed) on this outstanding achievement.

Visit PaleoJudaica daily for the latest news on ancient Judaism and the biblical world.