Thursday, November 20, 2014

SBL 2014

I'M OFF TO SAN DIEGO for the annual meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature.

This year I am responding to two reviews of my 2013 book Hekhalot Literature in Translation: Major Texts of Merkavah Mysticism (Brill), on which much background here and links. Here is the information on the part of the session which deals with my book:
Mysticism, Esotericism, and Gnosticism in Antiquity
11/25/2014
9:00 AM to 11:30 AM
Room
: 500 (Level 5 (Cobalt)) - Hilton Bayfront (HB)

Theme: Early Judaism
Featuring reviews of James Davila, Hekhalot Literature in Translation: Major Texts of Merkavah Mysticism (Brill, 2013).

M. David Litwa, University of Virginia, Presiding
Ra'anan Boustan, University of California-Los Angeles
Review of James Davila, Hekhalot Literature in Translation (20 min)
Rebecca Lesses, Ithaca College
Review of James Davila, Hekhalot Literature in Translation (20 min)
James Davila, University of St. Andrews, Respondent (25 min)
Discussion (10 min)
I am staying in San Diego for Thanksgiving with friends after the conference. I will be very busy in the next ten days or so, but I will blog as much as I can, and I have also preposted lots of things. So do keep coming back as usual.