Saturday, September 20, 2008

APOCRYPHA WATCH:
Review: Judith, Lace Market Theatre

Thursday, September 18, 2008, 07:43 (thisisnottingham.ac.uk)

IF YOU dislike obscenity, necrophilia and heads being cut off, even non-gratuitously and in context, best give this production a miss. If cutting edge, less-than-straightforward studio theatre is for you, flock to it.

The story of Judith is from the Apocrypha. An Assyrian general is bent on the destruction of Israel but an Israelite woman succeeds in getting him drunk, seducing and then beheading him, thus saving her nation.

[...]
I don't remember any necrophilia in the book of Judith, and Holophernes passes out drunk before the seduction can happen. Evidently this is a free interpretation of the story.

My broadband is still down at home, but I've pre-posted this on Friday afternoon. If I get a chance, I'll stop by the office to post more, either Saturday or (more likely) Sunday.