Monday, May 08, 2006

ANOTHER EGYPTIAN BLOGGER HAS BEEN ARRESTED. Alaa of Manal and Alaa’s Bit Bucket was detained yesterday by Egyptian police, along with about ten other people, for participating in "a protest to support the Judiciary's branch fight for independence" (quote from the Sandmonkey). I've mentioned Manal and Alaa before in connection the arrest and subsequent release of blogger Abdolkarim Nabil Seliman. They won an award last November from Reporters Without Borders. The Sandmonkey has details here about the current situation and has more in a recent post that I take the liberty of quoting in full:
It’s War

As you can read here Alaa has been arrested , and the situation is turning bleaker by the minute. Given what the egyptian police is like , and how they wanted to hurt Alaa for quite a while now, I don't think it's wise to wait until they decide what THEY want to do with him. The fight should start immedietly.

The contact information for the Egyptian embassy is below:
The Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt
3521 International Ct. NW
Washington DC 20008
Phone (202) 895 5400
Fax (202) 244 5131
(202) 244 4319
Email: embassy@egyptembdc.org

E-mail them, send them letters, harrass them. The last time you did that we got Abdel Karim released. I am not joking when I tell you that I had information from a source inside that this is the only reason they released him. Too much pressure by the average american and european. The egyptian government is cowardly, they will sucumb to pressure. Tell them that you find his detainment and arrest unacceptable. That you will not set foot in this country, and will tell every friend of yours never to visit Egypt, unless Alaa and the other detainees are released immedietly. That a government that throws people in jail for freedom of speech is not one that will get your money. Tell everyone you know and spread the word. In the words of Tigerhawk: Release the Hounds.
The overall situation that let to the demonstrations is discussed in the 28-April Guardian blog post "Fighting terror, Egyptian style" by Brian Witaker.

I have sent the following e-mail to the Egyptian Embassy in London (info@egyptianconsulate.co.uk). I urge you to take a few minutes to write to the Egyptian Embassy in your area as well. Use any of my wording you find useful. You might also want to look at comment 4 to the post quoted above, which gives a good generic template for American readers.

These officials don't seem to learn from their mistakes very readily, but they do respond to public pressure, as we saw last time around.

Swarm them.


Dear Sir,

I write regarding the reports that Egyptian blogger Alaa Abd El-Fatah, was arrested at a demonstration in Cairo on May 7th, 2006. He and other protesters were demonstrating peacefully to support the Judiciary's struggle for independence and to protest the arrest of numerous other demonstrators over the last two weeks.

These reports are extremely disturbing. I am a lecturer at a British university and my research specialties involve Gnosticism and ancient biblical apocrypha and pseudepigrapha some of which were discovered in Egypt and written in the ancient Coptic language. I have visited Egypt in the past and from time to time I might have occasion to travel there again for research or conferences. But while arrests of this sort are going on, I will certainly not visit and in addition I will warn my colleagues, students, friends, and blog-readers to stay away. I myself have criticized the Egyptian Government on my own weblog, and in light of this report I would fear for my personal safety in Egypt.

Is this really the sort of publicity you want for your country? I urge you to release Alaa Abd El-Fatah immediately, along with the other activists arrested with him and during the last fortnight, drop all charges against them, and henceforth respect their human right to criticize their own government.

Sincerely yours,

James R. Davila

UPDATE: More from the Sandmonkey. It's not looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment